Muscle Group: Back
Compared to Barbell Rows: One Arm Dumbbell Rows isolate the lat muscles on each side. Because you’re lifting lighter you can get a better peak contraction at the top of the movement. Heavy movement is good but not as important as emphasizing a full range of motion, this will really define the centre of your back.
- Taking a dumbbell in one hand, bend forward from the waist until your upper body is nearly parallel to the ground.
- Place one knee and your free hand on the bench for support.
- Begin with the weight down at arm’s length, feeling the best stretch possible. Turn your hand so that the palm faces toward your body.
- Keeping your body steady, lift the weight up to your side, focusing on doing the work with your back rather than your arm. Lower the weight, keeping it under control.
- Do an equal amount of reps for both sides of the back.